Gomez and Morticia Addams’s demon spawn—sorry, daughter—is finally getting the highlight she deserves. Wednesday Addams, the death-obsessed teen whose idea of a lazy summer Friday involves electrocuting her brother, is headed to Netflix later this 12 months, with You actress Jenna Ortega within the lead role. Judging by the brand new teaser, Netflix goes all-in on the macabre delights of everyone’s favorite goth. That’s no surprise on condition that Tim Burton is attached to direct; based on his previous work, we’ve got an excellent idea of the show’s grim-meets-kooky aesthetic.
Wednesday, billed by Netflix as “a sleuthing, supernaturally infused mystery,” will follow the Addams’s only daughter as she attends the boarding school Nevermore Academy, where she juggles her newfound psychic powers and a supernatural murder mystery connected to her circle of relatives. Ahead, all the things we find out about Wednesday’s solo treatment.
When will the show come out?
Although an official release date has yet to be announced, Netflix revealed the series will arrive in “fall 2022.” Given the theme, we suspect October.
This content is imported from youTube. It’s possible you’ll have the ability to seek out the identical content in one other format, or chances are you’ll have the ability to seek out more information, at their website online.
Wednesday Addams | Official Teaser | Netflix
Who’s within the forged?
Aside from Ortega within the lead role, Netflix has announced numerous other exciting forged additions:
- Catherine Zeta-Jones will appear throughout the series as Morticia, the Addams family matriarch and Wednesday’s mother.
- Victor Dorobantu will play Thing, the severed hand and servant seen within the teaser trailer.
- George Burcea will play Lurch, the towering family manservant.
- Isaac Ordonez will play Gomez and Morticia’s son, Pugsley.
- Luis Guzmán will guest star as Gomez, the Addams family patriarch and Wednesday’s father.
- Other actors with as-yet-unannounced roles include Gwendoline Christie, Jamie McShane, Emma Myers, Percy Hynes White, Moosa Mostafa, Thora Birch, Hunter Doohan, Riki Lindhome, Joy Sunday, Georgie Farmer, and Naomi Ogawa.
- Christina Ricci, who played Wednesday within the early ’90s movies The Addams Family and Addams Family Values, can even appear in an undisclosed role.
Jenna Ortega as Wednesday Addams.
What’s Wednesday based on?
Just like the movies, TV series, and theatrical adaptations before it, Wednesday relies partly on the Recent Yorker cartoons first introduced by Charles Addams in 1938, further popularized within the Sixties by the sitcom adaptation The Addams Family. Based on the latter’s success, the family’s misadventures quickly became a franchise: A cartoon series arrived within the Nineteen Seventies, followed by The Addams Family live-action movie in 1991, for which a sequel, Addams Family Values, landed in 1993. Each live-action and animated versions of the family continued the legacy, after which a 2010 Broadway musical, The Addams Family Musical, arrived to lackluster critical reception. Finally, two animated movies were released in 2019 and 2021. This massive canon serves because the backbone of Wednesday.
Will there be a couple of season?
No word yet from Netflix, but given the thrill around Wednesday’s launch, there’s a solid probability it’ll be a success—and in that case, expect season 2 news forthcoming.
This post can be updated.
Lauren Puckett-Pope is an associate editor at ELLE, where she covers news and culture.